SELF BINDING BABY BLANKET – A MUST HAVE FOR KIDS
Babies are delicate, and they need to be preserved well in a beautiful self binding baby blanket. This blanket is also great if you want to give it to your friend at her baby shower ceremony.
The self binding baby blanket also acts as a great cuddle fabric, and babies feel super comfortable in it.
Table of Contents
MATERIALS FOR SELF BINDING BLANKET
The materials used for making a self binding receiving blanket are:
- A sewing machine.
- Thread and a pair of scissors.
- Two pieces of cloth (preferably contrasting colors)
- A rotary cutter and a cutting mat.
- A quilters ruler.
HOW TO MAKE A RECEIVING BLANKET WITH SELF BINDING?
In this self binding blanket tutorial, you will learn how to make a professional-looking self binding baby blanket.
You will start with cutting all the fabric according to the guidebook that is provided. Now you need to sew the pieces together on the right side. Then, mark a right angle at both the corners and sew them down and cut away all the excess cloth.
Then you iron down the corners so that it looks flattened and presentable. It is that easy to make the self binding blanket.
STEPS TO MAKE THE BLANKET
- Mark the wrong side of the backing fabric with a 40″ Square using a tip pen. Now cut along the lines with a craft knife or a rotary cutter.
- Mark the wrong side of the inside fabric with a 34″ Square and cut it with a cutter again.
- Use an acrylic ruler and Mark with one in the back of the fabric, and now draw a 2″ Border from the raw edges at each corner.
- Now, using those lines as guides, again draw a 45-degree line that intersects the guides. This would be your stitching point. Repeat the same on all the four corners.
- Fold the corner and the right sides and create a point to match the stitching line. Pin and stich along the marked line. Use a 3.5mm stich length and a walking foot for the best results. Repeat the step for all the four corners.
- Now turn the corners inside and ensure that the corners are laid flat. Trim the seam to ½”.
- Now, lay the fabric inside and tuck edges under the frame that is created above. Smooth out evenly and slowly.
- Now, go through all the layers around the blanket. Use a broad zigzag stich down the edges around the entire blanket.
- Now sew an additional 10″ square in the center of the blanket, if possible.
When using a cuddle 3 fir backing, you can also add a top stich along the edge. Make use of a serpentine stich for a great, finished look of the blanket.
A baby binding blanket is super easy to make if you have the perfect knowledge.
HOW MUCH FABRIC DO YOU NEED FOR A SELF BINDING BABY BLANKET?
The fabric requirements for your baby binding blanket are:
- 1 ¼ yards of backing or binding.
- ⅞ yards of bright and contrasting fabric.
WHAT IS THE STANDARD SIZE OF A BABY BLANKET?
The baby blanket is made from thin and soft material and is typically about 30 inches by 39 inches. This is a very versatile accessory that you can use every time and anywhere.
Having a special baby blanket helps lessen the stress that you might not even realize your baby is going through. Baby blankets can help in providing tactile, auditory and visual stimulation, which highly depends on the type of blanket being used. Keep your baby extra safe always by giving them the best.